SolarCity – Brief History
Ever wonder how to buy SolarCity stock? Well now you can! Read on to find out more…
With its headquarters in San Mateo, California, SolarCity Corporation is a subsidiary of Tesla, Inc. It was founded in 2006 by brothers Lyndon and Peter Rive, based on a proposal for a solar company concept by Elon Musk. By 2009, their installed solar panels were generating 440 megawatts (MW) of power.
The company set off to the East Coast following the acquisition of the solar division of groSolar and Clean Currents. SolarCity further opened in New Hampshire, Vermont, Florida, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut.
- In 2013, according to research by GTM, SolarCity was ranked the leading residential solar installer in the U.S. In the same year, it purchased Paramount Solar from Paramount Equity for $120 million.
- In October 2014, the firm announced its $200 million offer in solar bonds to unveil a new online website to buy the debt. It was the first registered public offering of such bonds in the U.S. SpaceX bought $90 million of SolarCity in March 2016.
- In late 2015, SolarCity withdrew installation and solar sales in Nevada, after a decision by the States’ Public Utilities to increase the monthly service charge and reduce the solar energy sold back into the grid.
- In June 2016, Elon Musk’s battery and car company, Tesla, gave an offer to acquire SolarCity for 2.5-3 billion. Musk’s effort was aimed at creating a seamless and pleasant Tesla integrated solar power product and battery. On August 1, 2016, the company accepted Tesla Motor’s 2.6 billion offer; this merger was completed later in the year.
- In 2017, the Rive brothers left the company among other employees. Also, the company’s model has changed to an online presence fully incorporated with Tesla’s line of batteries and cars.
Why You Would Want To Buy SolarCity
SolarCity is now an entirely-owned subsidiary of Tesla, so rather than buying SolarCity stock, interested parties will need to purchase Tesla instead. The following reasons highlight why one should consider adding Tesla to their stock portfolio:
- Tesla’s expectation to report a profit: Analysts project that Tesla could, in the long run, report consistent profits every quarter. Besides, the company might begin the distribution of dividends and split the stock.
- A bullish outlook on the U.S stock market and economy: Acquiring Tesla’s stock would yield more profit during an economic expansion accompanied by a growing stock market. Other significant factors that may contribute to the appreciation of stock are solar panel production and battery manufacturing.
- The desire to invest in Tesla: Probably the ultimate reason to purchase Tesla is not to invest in SolarCity, but to buy into Tesla. Although the company is still not making a profit, it could eventually get sold or taken over by another company or turn into a profitable enterprise.
Insights Before You Buy
The following are crucial concerns that investors need to look into prior to making the decision to purchase SolarCity stock:
Company’s background – Even though this appears to be a simple thing, it doesn’t imply that it is easy. Warren Buffet, a renowned investor for the last six decades, acknowledges that he does not comprehend every company. That gives a reason for traders to take caution. This post began with an overview of SolarCity that lays a foundation for understanding the firm’s operations in a nutshell.
Economic condition – It is essential to be up to date with the stock market in the United States and the financial situation from a global perspective. A significant regression in the stock market or a decrease in the economy could adversely affect the profits and stock price of a corporation like Tesla. Despite the firm’s considerably high stock price, it could drop more than the overall market.
Stock price – Notably, TSLA may not be a great bargain at its present rate. However, that may not remain the case in the event the company engages in lucrative changes. These can include the release of an innovation. Nonetheless, to a large extent, the stock could struggle for some time.
Stock’s sector – The acquisition of SolarCity by Tesla signifies that you are not, in actual sense, investing in a venture that involves renewable energy. On the contrary, it means that you are buying into a battery and automobile manufacturer. Therefore, if your interest is in the green energy industry, you may be in a better position to invest in another corporation.
How to Buy SolarCity Stock
To begin with, you should, through the help of a stockbroker (who has access to stocks that are traded by NASDAQ), open a brokerage account that is funded.
If you don’t have an account, you can conduct the following actions:
Select a Broker
Before you settle on an account, decide what you require from a broker. Picking the appropriate broker is as fundamental as where you trade the stock.
Read about some of our top online stock brokers here.
You can also find some more broker recommendations.
In order to buy Tesla Stock, carry out a deposit into a trading account. Ensure you liaise with the broker on how to carry out deposits.
Helpful hint: Broker requirements can differ significantly; a majority of them accept bank wire transactions as well as personal cheques.
Purchase Tesla Stock
Owing to its relatively high price and varying ground rules, TSLA can trade with substantial volatility.
Be attentive to the stock trade showcased in the demo account if you have not done that already. It is advisable to watch it for a number of sessions and conduct some technical evaluations to establish a suitable buying level.
SolarCity specializes in solar energy services and markets; it produces and installs commercial and residential solar panels in the U.S. SolarCity Corporation merged with Tesla, Inc. in 2016 and now provides energy storage services through Tesla.
Since its Tesla acquisition, SolarCity has gradually been taken apart and is now focused on battery and car businesses.
Tesla continues to use SolarCity’s name and website to sell solar panel installations. It no longer operates as a renewable energy investment on its own.
It is pivotal to consider factors such as stock price and economic condition before investing in a company’s stock. With that in mind, you can make well-informed decisions, for instance, picking the broker that best matches your needs.